The holiday season is upon us & you’re in a rocky relationship. You feel stuck and unsure of what to do. How do you pretend to feel holiday joy when your relationship is on the brink of separation or divorce?
You’re overwhelmed, confused, and worried about the state of your relationship. You are struggling to keep it together on a good day let alone for the holiday festivities. If a couple is already struggling in their relationship, those problems can become amplified as the holidays approach.
All this stress can cause sleepless nights, lack of concentration at work, exhaustion, and more. Maybe you haven’t shared the state of your relationship with any friends or family and you’re feeling more isolated during the holiday season because of this.
How do you sip on eggnog and feel holiday joy when you’re unsure of the state of your relationship or marriage from one day to the next? You might be thinking this could be the last holiday I celebrate with my spouse. This is causing additional anxiety and depression. It’s a lot. Just know you’re not alone.
Here are some helpful tips to get you through the holiday season when your relationship is on the rocks.
- Limit the number of guests in your home.
- Limit the number of holiday events you attend.
- Keep the festivities centered around the kids.
- Practice mindfulness by taking deep breaths even for just a few minutes.
- Respect your time.
- Exercise daily. You can exercise in any number of ways, including yoga, taking a walk around the neighborhood, visiting your gym, or all of the above.
- Set appropriate emotional boundaries.
- Be realistic about what you want and what you are capable of during the holiday season.
- Take time to recharge your emotional batteries. Invest in a massage, take a bubble bath, or practice meditation during the mornings before work or before bedtime.
Be patient with yourself during this hectic holiday season. Seek the support of a trusted professional to help you through this difficult time. Individual and couples counseling has never been easier to access. Telehealth counseling services offer you the convenience of a session from the comfort of your own home.
Susan Block LMFT is experienced in helping couples handle relationship issues. By providing marriage and individual counseling remotely via telehealth services, couples & individuals across the state of Florida have an opportunity to explore their mental health needs and concerns.
Why go through this alone? Take the next step in your marriage and contact Susan Block, LMFT for your complimentary consultation.